Me

Me
Me

Sunday, November 27, 2011

One-size-does-not-fit-all

I was just reading an article in today's Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel business section about health club membership prices and the competition between gyms here locally for new and existing members. In the Milwaukee area, it reported that approximately 22.4% of residents belonged to a gym in 2010.  Then it goes on to talk about  how a new gym that has opened recently is only charging $10 to join and how that affects the other gyms.

I got stuck on the "22.4%" and did a little more math and came up with 77.6% of residents in Milwaukee did NOT have a gym membership in 2010!! I wonder if the people that do these statistics ever stop to ask people WHY they don't belong to a gym?! Hmm??

Well, I'm here to answer the question for you. First of all, since I moved here to Wisconsin, I'm shocked the number is so low. Why? Because the weather sucks here for like 9 months out of the year. (Ok, make it 10. Even in summer, it's usually raining). Exercising outdoors here is really not an option most of the year, so I'm shocked the number isn't the other way around. Kind of answers the question about why many Wisconsinites are overweight....) I'm a runner, or at least I used to be when I lived in California. I ran year-round. I mean, when the coldest it's going to get is in the 40's, running outdoors is a pleasurable thing to do. I love it. I love the early morning smells in the spring and summer, and the crisp fresh air in the winter. In fall, I love crunching the fallen leaves as I run. I think in the whole year I've lived here in Wisconsin, I've run less than 8 times outdoors. It's just not pleasurable.

So--how does a person find a gym to join when their are so many to choose from? Well, it's really an individual choice. Just like buying underwear. One size does not fit all. What are your fitness goals? Are you the kind of person that likes to exercise alone or in a group setting, or with just one other person? Do you even know? What is your fitness level right now? What's your work/school/child care schedule like? 

Those of you that know me know that I've become a gym rat- I live there. I work at a gym, I work out at least 5 days a week. I gave up running for the most part, only because I really hate treadmills. I feel like a mouse on a wheel. I became a certified Spin instructor a year ago only to realize Spinning here is really "cycling" and it's for road bikers. Bleh. I know--I should give it another try and maybe I will. But I got bitten by the tennis bug and it's not only great cardio but I made friends too and joined a league and now compete.  It's so much fun and terribly addicting. I have become a tennis whore and will play anyone who'll play me. On alternating days, I lift weights. My triceps are my best asset now. (Who'd have thunk?)

Why is it only 22.4% of people here going to the gym? What are they doing to stay in shape? Well, many of them aren't, and many people have exercise equipment in their homes. And like many people, when the weather gets too bad, I've got my Pilates DVD I do in my bedroom. And don't forget, crunches can be done anywhere. 

Is it the cost of gyms that keep people away? Or could it be something else? I have almost always belonged to a gym. What I look for in a gym seems to change from time to time, but I adapt. I don't switch gyms often, although I have done so. Is there an "ultimate" gym? And if there was, how much would you be willing to pay to join it?

Ian, my son, and I and one of his friends have this conversation on a regular basis, as we are planning on opening our own gym in the future. Here are some of the things we've come up with that being gym rats ourselves, we find important in a good gym:

1. CLEAN--the gym has got to be clean. It needs to not only LOOK clean, but BE clean. When you're running on a treadmill, with nothing to look at besides either a wall or a TV screen, you tend to notice the build-up of sticky lint along the edges. Yuk.

2. ATTRACTIVE WORKERS/OTHER MEMBERS--do not laugh at this! You know you notice. Maybe it's not important to you but subliminally, you notice. Whether or not you're single or not, the attractiveness of the people around you either inspire you or they don't.

3. NEW AND LATEST IN EQUIPMENT--my son and his friend have become experts on weightlifting equipment. A little Internet research on what's latest and greatest and safest and if a gym has outdated equipment, who'd want to go there?

4. FREE STUFF--this you really won't find everywhere, but we think it's important.  My gym has complimentary soaps, deodorant spray and hairspray! Another gym I used to belong to had the right idea--every time you checked in, it counted your attendances and when you got to a certain number, you'd get a free 1/2 hour massage, or sports drink, or membership to a special class. Great idea. Kind of like punching a smoothie card--buy 10 and get one free. Cool!!! 

5. PERSONAL TRAINERS THAT KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT--this is a big one. If you're a newbie and don't know any better, you tend to take what they say as gospel. I've seen and heard many give bad advice, dangerous even. The trainers at the gym I go to are certified and they DO know what they're talking about, but it's not like that everywhere. 

6. FUN CLASSES--this is my area of 'expertise". Are the classes not only conveniently timed, but are they FUN?? I know many that are NOT fun. They are boring and hard and you have to force yourself to go. Why do they keep these instructors??? It baffles me. For the most part, the instructors at my gym love what they do and it shows in their enthusiasm.  But personally, counting off seconds or minutes or pretending we are climbing hills when we have never biked outside in our lives (except with our children) is NOT fun. Sweating in public, especially in a group, should be fun. And no over-crowding. If a class is so popular you can't move without getting swatted in the eye, they need to have more classes.

7. NICE LOCKER ROOMS--One gym I used to belong to had these pretty little individual vanity desks that resembled backstage dressing rooms like celebrities use.  All the lockers actually worked. And another one had this hideous greenish-blue stained carpet that was about 100 years old and disgusting. If you are afraid to be barefoot--let alone naked--in a locker room, it doesn't matter how nice the employees are. Yuk. 

8. THE LITTLE THINGS--It's the little things that add up to make it or break it as a successful gym. Do they sell healthy snacks and sports drinks? Are they reasonably priced? Do they offer free training when you join? Do they have nutritional counseling? Do you like the way the towels smell? Does the staff seem happy and do they treat you well? Are they nearby? Do you like their hours of operation? Do you feel welcomed? Do you like the house music? Are people friendly? What are the other members like? Do you feel safe in the parking lot? Do you enjoy the classes? I'm sure there are more "little things" that I missed, but if you don't belong to a gym right now, I'm sure you can elaborate for me.

The bottom line is, gyms are big business, and they need you. Without you, they can't survive. Like most businesses, they want to please you. With so many gyms available, what is it that makes YOU want to join, keep going, or quit? Because staying healthy is really every single person's goal, or it should be. You don't have to want to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger to work out at a gym, nor desire the biceps of Demi Moore. Most gyms offer a free one-week trial membership to get you to join--so think about what's important to YOU before you plunk down your credit card.

And remember--exercise should be fun, and consistency is the key to accomplishing your fitness goals.

You can do it!

I know you can.

Now get out there and sweat!!!




1 comment:

  1. .....and cheap - remember there are approximately 28% of homeowners that owe more on their mortgages than their home is worth and the unemployment rate is still hovering around 9%.


    Several years ago, I made the assumption that 5.00 dollars is not a lot of money, I lost that client; Since then i have learned to appreciate what I have and how subjective is the value of a dollar.

    ReplyDelete