Me

Me
Me

Friday, October 2, 2015

The Military Diet--Day 3 and Summation

Day 4
Official weigh-in: 133.4 pounds
Official weight loss: 3-1/2 pounds

--After the first day, I didn't lose any more weight, which was very discouraging. Last night, which was Day 3, I had eaten the entire day's allotment by 4:30 pm. Sorry, but 1100 calories just isn't enough food for a whole day. I don't know about you, but unless I was comatose, I couldn't do it. And it didn't help that I had a retirement dinner to go to, and was absolutely famished when I got there.

--I had a plan and am pretty proud of myself for sticking to it, even though there was temptation all around me. I ate only 1 mozarella stick (there were plates of appetizers, and believe me, I was so hungry it wasn't easy to resist). I ordered a glass of cabernet sauvignon and iced water (which I drank all of) and ordered salmon and asparagus. I had a second glass of wine and only took 2 bites of the au gratin potatoes that came with it. I weighed the same this morning as I did after the Day 1. At least I didn't gain!! I said no to dessert. 

Summation

--One of the things I forgot to mention is that coffee is allowed on this diet, a LOT of coffee!! Which I love anyways, so that's fine, and I substituted sugar-free vanilla syrup in place of CoffeeMate. 

--I think overall it taught me a lot about myself and my eating patterns; first of all, I thought I knew what to eat! Realizing I ate more apples, bananas, and ice cream in the last three days than I've eaten in 10 years taught me that number one, I really don't understand nutrition and number 2, I don't need to feel bad about wanting ice cream once in a while and should actually eat it!! I have a lot of myths about certain foods that are just plain incorrect. 

--I also learned that I DO have willpower, and that given a script, I'm excellent at following it. I loved the challenge. I learned that I do tend to overeat, even on "healthy" food, and I don't think I've been getting enough of the right types of nutrition, CLEARLY, if I haven't had an apple or banana in 10 years. Who eats an apple and a hard-boiled egg for dinner?? People DO. People who eat for their health and not their emotions, THAT'S who. 

--I also learned that since my parents didn't have any money growing up, eating out was something we just never did, unless it was McDonald's. Now I gave up fast food about 10 years ago, and red meat over 5 years ago, but I still somehow have a Pavlovian response to eating out. I do love french fries and anything salty-crunchy-greasy and we do eat out a lot, and I realized that to me, that's my reward. FOOD. And I saw on Facebook one day, someone posted a quote that said, "Don't reward yourself with food. You're not a dog", and I thought about that a long time these last three days I was "depriving" myself. And I use the word "deprivation" because isn't that how we always feel when we are on a "diet"??? You can have this but not that. 

--My husband tells me, "Lauren, just run 10 miles a day. Then you can eat whatever you want." Well, I like to run, but I don't even know if I CAN run 10 miles a day. I think he must've said it in jest, because the truth is, it's impossible to do (for me, maybe for YOU). So, what can I do to keep myself from gaining weight? How can I lose that last stubborn 5 pounds???

--I can continue to exercise and log my food intake on my FitBit profile. That is the best way to face head-on what really goes in my mouth. 

--It's not about deprivation, it's thinking about my body as a machine that needs the right kind of fuel to operate at maximum efficiency. I CAN have ice cream, and I CAN have apples for breakfast and feel good.I

--I feel cleansed. I feel spiritual today as I embark on eating "normally", which for me has taken on a different tone. I fully plan on continuing to add apples and bananas and cottage cheese to my daily eating plan (note: I wanted to say "diet" but that implies deprivation). I have not felt bloated, which is a truly wonderful feeling. I look better in my clothes just losing that 4-1/2 pounds (I lost a pound the day before I started the 3-day diet). And that maybe it's not about actual poundage--what the scales says--but how I look in my clothes and feel when I look in the mirror. I look pretty damn good at 133.4, and yeah, I know I'll look even better if and when I can lose the next five pounds. 

--I plan on implementing the Day1 of the Military Diet, and possibly adding Day 2 on a weekly basis. It feels so good eating clean, that the idea of going and eating bar food really doesn't appeal to me. And if I can do this on a weekly basis, it's likely the pounds won't sneak up on me during the holidays. It's a way for me to have my fun and dial it back. It was actually not that hard at all (Day 1) and I actually think it will be fun and challenging to do it on a regular basis.


--I also learned that I could never be a supermodel if this is what it takes to be super-thin!! I love food and I just think good food and eating is sexy and a wonderful part of life. In my desperate desire to look a certain way, it was a real wake-up call that if that's what I have to do to look the way I want to look, it's just not worth it. I will continue to focus on transforming my body through weightlifting and exercise and really try to remember that my body wants and needs more fruit and veggies and that the reward isn't french fries or a slim waistline. It's hopefully building a strong immune system so I'm healthy for my kids and my family and have a happier life. That all sounds so cliche but I've never tried any kind of crash diet before. And honestly, I don't judge others the harsh way I judge myself, and I'm sure not even my husband would notice an extra 5 pounds, so why does it matter so much to me? My friend and personal trainer Mike firmly believes and tells his female clients that we shoudn't even be weighing ourselves daily the way we do; that we put way too much emphasis on a number we think we should be.  Rather, shouldn't we have an honest assessment of how we feel and look in our clothes as our guide? Thank you Mike, I will try to keep that in mind.

--Will I ever do the 3 day Military Diet again? No. The third day was ridiculously low in calories, and unsustainable. They need to realize some of us have 18 hour days and 1100 calories isn't enough. I was so weak and dizzy from lack of food, and it would've been helpful to have had suggestions for healthy snacks. I understand the whole concept is a crash diet to lose as much weight as possible in the shortest amount of time possible, but really, starvation only leads to bingeing, and I know I for one do NOT want to resort to that.

--If you give the Military Diet a try, PLEASE comment here and let me know how it goes for you! I specifically want to know these five things:

1. What is your current weight?
2. How much do you want to lose overall? (not just in the 3 days)
3. What is your target weight goal?
4. How much did you lose on the 3-Day Military Diet?
5. How did you feel?

--Thank you for reading and I would love to hear from you!






























































No comments:

Post a Comment