Me

Me
Me

Friday, October 22, 2010

The Wheels on the Bike Go Round and Round

Have you ever done something new, and thought, Gee, this is fun, how did I not know about this fun thing?? Well, Spin class was that for me. Over a year and a half ago, I joined Xcellerate gym in Reedley and as a long-time runner, I had never heard of Spin class. I loved running outdoors--and competing in 5K's and 10K's. My friend Bethany pushed me to give Spin a try, and one day I reluctantly agreed to give it a whirl. I had no idea what to expect and I was quite intimidated by the machines and Bethany's seeming knowledge of it all. It didn't take long for me to realize that for the first time, exercise could be FUN! and not just hard work!

The instructor reminded me a little of Susan Powter--remember her? In the 1990's, with her buzz-cut hair and loud, "Stop the Insanity!" scare tactics to get you off your couch and into shape?  This Spin instructor mirrored Susan's enthusiasm without the scare tactics. She was singing along to the music, pedaling her heart out, and your basic fitness maniac but in a good way. She was having FUN!  I can't speak for the rest of the class, but I felt motivated by her because it was more fun to be with this sweaty group of smiling women, riding to fun and inspiring rock and pop music than it was to run alone on a treadmill. I couldn't walk for three days after, but I couldn't wait to go again. Soon I was attending every Monday-Wednesday-Friday and lost nearly 20 pounds. HAVING FUN MIND YOU!!!

That was almost 2 years ago, and tomorrow I'm taking the 9-hour course required to become a Spin instructor myself! I'm nervous and excited. I realized that I could get paid to do something I love. I also realized that I love teaching, and since I've decided not to pursue substitute teaching anymore, I did need something to give me that interaction with people that I love, in a motivating way. I guess you could say I've become a little Susan Powter myself, hopefully leaving out the annoying part of her personality! I hope I'll be as inspiring as Dawn and Nicole over at Xcellerate, and I'll be the kind of instructor that make people flock to my classes. I love picking out the music, you know me, it's got to be a mix of my favorite rock songs and a few pop ones as well.

I'm no spring chicken either, most of these instructors are half my age!  I want people to know exercise doesn't have to be something that you suffer through to get the benefits. My son loves grunting and groaning his way through weight-lifting and he looks amazing, but even he says if it wasn't fun to do, he probably wouldn't be as committed as he is. That's what I want to give to my future students--a fun thing to do three days a week that will help you not only get in shape, but make friends, have fun, get wild and sweaty and be something you look forward to, not dread. 

Thank you Bethany, for taking me to that first class. Little did you know how much it would change my life. And thank you to Dawn and Nicole, for being my inspiration as instructors, and thank you to Melissa and Mary, my steady Spin partners for over a year. I miss you guys more than you know, and thank you for giving me the confidence to consider and complete the instructor course.

I'm nervous and excited--we're going to do 2 Spin rides as well as lectures and demonstrations. I've never done two rides in one day! I hope I survive!

Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment